Q: Sorry if you already answered this, but I came across your other channel and just watched the video where you say Mormonism is “probably one of the most sexist [religions] that I’ve come across, beside Islam.” Since you are white and have never been Muslim, could you issue an apology, or update the video with an apology in the description? I am an atheist too, but there is horrible sexism in many religions, and in secular culture as well. It’s not right to single out Islam. It’s Islamophobic.
A: You’re right, it’s not right to single out Islam. Many religions and cultures are extremely sexist and I despise them all equally. This wasn’t the intent of my statement and I apologize if it came off that way.
The video (which is kinda old and came before I learned how to be fully “PC”) is about my experience, and in my life, Islam has perpetuated more gendered violence and sexism toward the women in my life and family than mormonism ever did. Both these religions have wounded me and my loved ones deeply, much of which was on the basis of sex and gender. Just writing about this makes my heart sink. No amount of screaming “Islamophobia” will change that, and it’s actually a wonderful example of how childish and ignorant religion makes people out to be. People get so wound up in defending anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-human, piece of trash organizations that they can’t hear criticism for what it is: a human experience that is real, that is valid, that is unjust.
Yes I am white and no I am not Muslim nor have I ever been. There are certain experiences I can never speak about, such as actually being Muslim or being a person of color. I can, however, speak about my own, and to argue that I must have dark skin or have been a practicing Muslim in order for me to do so is more of the same oppressive bullshit.
I grew up in a multicultural family. My dad’s side of the family immigrated from Iran 20 years ago. My dad himself immigrated to America when he was 16. My family is Muslim on my dad’s side and Mormon on my mother’s (although my dad eventually converted to mormonism). I grew up in a climate where these two religions dominated my life in a really painful way.
I don’t owe ANYONE explanations of why I feel the way I do. I don’t need to rehash things that have hurt me and that I’ve moved on from. My feelings and experiences are perfectly valid on their own. If you want to call it “Islamophobia”, I’ll call you ignorant. This isn’t about quantifying pain, this is about my own experience with that pain. Calling that “Islamophobia” undermines what Islamophobia really is and how it operates. I fucking hate organized religion, including Islam, and all the pouting in the world won’t change that.
so just because you’ve seen a specific religion harm people in your life all of a sudden means “this is one of the most sexist religions out there that i’ve come across” is a legitimate statement to make? and then she calls the people who’ve been saying she’s being islamophobic childish. yes because you totally explained all of your experiences with islam before making that video, so HOW DARE WE call you islamophobic? RELIGION MAKES PPL CHILDISH GUYS FUCK RELIGION is NOT a real critique of anything.
“to argue that I must have dark skin or have been a practicing Muslim in order for me to do so is more of the same oppressive bullshit.” OH LOOK, we’re oppressing her by saying that she shouldn’t speak about islam if she’s not a muslim herself! oh no! you know what? laci green should be able to speak on ANYTHING EVER. we can’t oppress her ability to talk about experiences that aren’t hers! and having muslim family TOTALLY ALLOWS her to speak on islam as an authority!
and then she tells us that we don’t know what islamophobia is. fuck you laci green fuck you fuck you fuck you.
I always thought there were like 5 people that disliked her, but there should be at least a few more. This is bullshit. This is why feminism alienates POC and religious women. This isn’t even a halfway decent apology, it’s bigotry shrouded around in deflective language. What is she even trying to say, besides “I’m a white-presenting, privileged person and that makes my opinion more valid than yours.”
You’re right, you don’t owe us an explanation on why you are a racist, islamaphobic bigot. But you do owe us an apology for spreading your bullshit and not even bothering to give a halfway decent apology.
Let’s not even get to her Romney-level flip-flopping on fat shaming and her “fat acceptance”.
Fuck laci green. She is no feminist role model. Fuck this racist loser.
I feel insulted, why I’m not really sure. I think it happened somewhere about the point that it was implied that race and religion were the same thing. yea that sounds about right. also whats with the ad-hominem?
- oswinoswaldappreciationlife likes this
- thirstyfor1d likes this
- notgreenpaint likes this
- segervisa likes this
- intrat likes this
- vantsass reblogged this from youarenotyou
- lifeisonebigantic likes this
- ivegotyouhigh reblogged this from strawberreli
- owlcitee likes this
- alwaysamoose likes this
- embellissement reblogged this from strawberreli
- tasteherforbiddenfruits reblogged this from queerbutchlover
- tasteherforbiddenfruits likes this
- queerbutchlover reblogged this from strawberreli and added:
- the-professional-eccedentesiast reblogged this from strawberreli
- oofiru reblogged this from strawberreli
- aimyourbrent reblogged this from strawberreli and added:
- underthestarssofaraway likes this
- emetophobesunite reblogged this from katt3985
- briskerys reblogged this from strawberreli
- aatobb likes this
- fishonhead likes this
- fishonhead reblogged this from katt3985 and added:
- onlyslightly likes this
- ipetmyangrythoughts likes this
- thegardenofsleepingroses reblogged this from strawberreli
- je-suis-le-tien likes this
- thegrinchscrumptiously reblogged this from strawberreli and added:
- zoophile likes this
- moreoftheworldd reblogged this from katt3985
- peter-pettishrooms likes this
- wafferbell likes this
- dapperwings reblogged this from charmingsoup and added:
- charmingsoup reblogged this from katt3985 and added:
- eat-the-alphas reblogged this from katt3985
- aneekersneekers likes this
- j0bbernowl reblogged this from aneekersneekers and added:
- thisliminalspace likes this
- aneekersneekers reblogged this from strawberreli and added:
- lalazarda likes this
- nickysreblogs likes this
- eat-the-alphas likes this
- toughtittiesforthem likes this
- naashta likes this
- nomadamsterdam likes this
- brightstartheory reblogged this from strawberreli
- brightstartheory likes this
- lovelysickal likes this
- bijou-kitten likes this